Kids Protection Planning
If you are a family with young children, then your estate plan should begin with a foundation that ensures your children would always be taken care of, no matter what happens. At Emily Hicks Law, one of our areas of greatest expertise is planning for and protecting your children.
What Would Happen to Your Kids if the Unthinkable Happened to You?
Did you know that 69% of parents have not yet named guardians for their kids?
Of those who have, most have made one of 6 common mistakes most parents (and their lawyers!) make when naming guardians.
Don’t let this happen to your family!
Without proper planning, if the unthinkable happens to you, here’s what could happen:
Your children could be placed into Child Protective Services (CPS) even if you have a will in place; even if you have a living trust while your legal documents or located or your family is identified. Or worse, your kids could be left in the care of the one person in your family you would never want raising them.
● A Judge who doesn’t know you, or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it’s the last person you would ever want;
● Approximately 5% of the total value of your assets could be lost due to probate, a court process that can tie up your assets for months or years and deprive your kids of the resources they need to live comfortably;
● When your kids turn 18, they get a check for whatever assets are left – outright with no protection
● There are unscrupulous people who make it their business to review public records to find out what 18 year olds are coming into money;
● The vast majority of estate planning attorneys simply do not address these issues, and do not plan from a parent’s perspective.
Use our guidance and expertise to help you name your legal guardians today and get your comprehensive Kids Protection Plan in place. Schedule a session now!